Lost orphan


The spooky spirit of Halloween swept over me about a week ago, when an idea for a photograph came to my mind. The very first concept was a simple, upstanding pose with an animal-shaped mask put on, in a forest corridor or deserted road after dark, like the one seen in The Strangers (2008). I didn't find anything interesting to buy, so I started to think about more available item - a plain, theatrical mask, which I find even more creepy. However, then all of a sudden, I brought to my mind Spanish film, The Orphanage (2007). That was the moment I started drawing inspiration here and there.

The mask is a DIY creation. Using a sewing machine for the first time didn't go totally smoothly, but in the end it was only a bag-like kind of thing to do. For the rest of the outfit I imagined some village-looking clothes. The Village (2004) is another mysterious film that comes to my mind. The brick-red tartan shirt, basic black vest, washed-out grey jeans, leather brown shoes and braid belt met their roles.

Besides the films, amazing painting The Lovers by my favorite René Magritte, as well as the works of Brooke Shaden and Lissy Elle supported me in visualizing the concepts.

When styling the photograph, I didn't think about putting it on Lookbook. Even though the Spookbook contest showed up a couple of days ago, I was sceptical about posting a "look" like that. Besides, I'm not fond of taking part in any contests, each of them brings a time pressure. Eventually, I've seen many creative Halloween looks and thought: why not to contribute with my "Lost orphan"?


Bedroom Window by Dustin O'Halloran

Comments