Popism


Recent days have made up a strange time for me, which from my current standpoint don't seem to end up any time soon. Disappointment, regrets, anxiety over future, indecision and fear of making a firm step forward. Well, they say happiness is a journey, not a destination. In addition, there are some things that take me back to the right track, rich in inspiration. Musings over the 1960s New York bohemians are some of them.

For his film productions, Andy Warhol was more often criticized rather than praised. Personally, I find them truly interesting. Over-3-hour Chelsea Girls is a set of portraits, stroked by motion and sound instead of a paint. A few days ago I also saw Flesh and Trash, written and directed by Paul Morrisey, and despite their severity, I found them somehow enchanting. Maybe it was just due to Joe Dallesandro?
Anyhow, I had quite the same positive feelings about Ciao! Manhattan - an underrated film portrait of Edie Sedgwick. I must say, without overmuch of comparison, I received it similarly to Federico Fellini's Eight and a Half.

From what I've learned about Edie, she was a carefree style icon, whose it girl qualities comprised intelligence, charming smile and modesty. Without endeavour to attrack others' attention, she was winning it with her personality. Never trying to prove anything to anyone, in response to an interest shown in her, she seemed to be kind, contented and thankful. Edie's self-confidence was eye-catching and may have resulted from feeling right and comfortable about herself. Ethereal charm and class.



Justice by Kim Milford

Comments