A talk with Chasseur Magazine


Another feature from this week! I've been honoured, and how flattered, to be included in the Interviews column on the Chasseur Magazine web home. You can read the interview here, or below.

PS. I wish there was one more day between Saturday and Sunday. My weekend was full of catching up on Grey's Anatomy, as well as GQ Style and Harry Potter reading. I also finally saw Clueless, as if.

***

Who is Monsieur Le?
I'd say I'm a daydreamer and misfit; photography, art, fashion and culture lover. I'm the author of a personal style blog entitled Monsieur Le. Basically, Monsieur, because French sounds divinely beautiful and poetic to me, the phrase itself somehow has a sublime undertone, even though the blog content may be far away from that. I just like it. And Le appears as a simplified and shortened version of my name, which is Leszek - not so linguistically friendly.

Your blog works as both a medium to express your personal style and a diary where you share certain aspects of your life. Are these two, easy to combine?
I believe these two functions blend with one another somehow. I don't think of them as two separate things, but more like one and the same. I express my personal style not only through the way I dress, but also all the things that influence it, that would be my photography, travels, writing and book/film/magazine/song musings. So to answer your question, I would say that my blog, as a diary or simply portfolio, comprises of the pieces I create, that is the mediums of self-expression. It has become a collage that reflects my escapes to arts and creativity.

One of the reasons, you decided to create your own blog, was so that you could improve your photography skills. Judging from your lookbook, it seems like a success! Any other notable changes?
Thank you! Yes, I created my blog mainly to become more conscious of myself and to document a possible progression in the aspects of photography and defining personal style. Well, creating the blog on that path has certainly been rewarding. The decisions related to what to wear, how to wear it, how to materialize a concept for a photo shoot, where to do it, how to edit the results - are easier to be made.
Another change would be a crystallization of what I would like to do in days to come. Being chronically undecided was my flaw that I have somehow overcome through blogging. I have realized what makes me the most satisfied. So to sum it up, I would say progression in reigning a medium of expression, realization of possible vocations, self-awareness, self-worth.

Each post comes with a song. Do these songs represent your current state of mind or merely 'dress up' your photo diary?
For sure the music on the blog is not merely an addition. Together with the things I publish, it more fully reflects what I want to share. My earphones are like a part of my body actually. I listen to music perpetually, associating many songs with particular moments and treating it like an immense inspiration, also stimulating creativity. Looking at my blog as a journal, I want the titles of the songs that I am currently obsessed with or inspired by to be documented together with the photographs and text. I tend to experience music as a soundtrack to my musings and moods, so it pretty much reflects my current state of mind. Accompanying the blog posts, songs make them sometimes more vibrant I guess, say more about my inspirations.

What is your definition of 'style'?
To me, when speaking about style, self-awareness is crucial. Style is defined by how comfortable you feel with yourself, how you feel in what you wear and what you surround yourself with, who you see when you look in a mirror. Style means self-expression, a standard of life that you represent. Creating something rather than following trends. The ultimate domain of style would be an icon. It is also the way you pursue your lust for being happy. Style reflects one's interests and passions, inspirations and states of mind.

You recently celebrated your blog's one year anniversary with a special online issue featuring some of your best photos, posts as well as film and music choices. What were your feelings while revisiting the past?
I have a quite melancholic and nostalgic nature, I sometimes tent to find my mind floating somewhere in the past. I felt somehow rewarded when working on the yearbook, going through the posts again. I was also truly glad to realize how my articulation had improved. Revisiting the past year brought a pleasure and a peculiar sensation of satisfaction whatsoever.

What's next for Monsieur Le?
I wish I knew that! Though certainly, I would like to keep doing what I mostly enjoy doing, that is photographing, writing, styling, conceptualizing ideas, drawing inspiration from films, books, magazines, music and fashion culture. The thing that I would like to change is a location from which I would do all that. I would like to move to London next year.

 
Every Single Night by Fiona Apple

Comments

  1. your blog is incredible . congrats boy

    my twitter: @showroomdegarde

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment