Featured in The Facets Magazine


Earlier this week, I was pleased to find my works in the holiday issue of The Facets Magazine. To see the feature and read the interview, look up, down or simply pay a visit to the issue website (pages 56-57).

***

A little introduction
In October 2011, I created a visual journal in form of a personal style blog, as an outlet for creativity and love for arts. I have been documenting my ways of exploring fashion and possible progress in photographing through it ever since.
What inspires your photography and style on Monsieur Le?
I find most of my inspirations in art and culture. I think photography comes first – I am a huge admirer and try to use it as a medium of self-expression as well. Almost every day I look through amazing works of self-portraiture and fine art photographers.
I would also consider myself as books and films geek. I find classics truly inspiring, especially when it is the old Hollywood era, the cinema from the 50s and 60s. I like to familiarize myself with the aesthetics of vintage works.
Fashion culture itself makes me think outside the box and evokes my lust for creating. It can be a street style blog, magazine editorials, catwalk videos or interviews with industry icons.

Tell us about your creative process from coming up with a concept to shooting it and writing about it.
Initially, I think finding inspiration stimulates lust for creating. So usually it starts with a concept dropping in to my mind when seeing something impressive. To materialize it, I think over the capabilities – where I could shoot it, what I could  wear, when I should make it. Most of my photographs are self-portraits, so I use a tripod and self-timer. I like photographing during golden hours, outside, in the woods for example. When I have my photos taken, I prepare a blog post, which consists of photo editing and writing about whatever helped me to come up with an idea, or about current readings, music and films just seen.
What’s your dream photo shoot?
I used to dream about portraits in some desert areas with infinite horizon line in the background, and I somehow fulfilled it when visiting the Grand Canyon. Now I think more urban-esque, so I would like to take some photos in the busy streets of Tokyo, for example. What comes to my mind right now is a kind of “Lost in Translation” theme.
What do you hope readers take away from your blog?
Inspiration. Although it is hard to believe that someone could ever draw inspiration from what I do, it would be amazing to have someone out there eager to create just after seeing my works.

Any advice for aspiring fashion and photography bloggers on getting started?
I don't feel entitled to give out any advice, but I think there are some universal verities worth remembering. I would say, make your own, unique and original things, dare to be rare. Create, don't follow. It is the authenticity that is eye-catching.
Find photography and/or fashion subjects that inspire you the most. Don't try to please anyone, make it for yourself, to explore your potential and talents. Finding the ways of self-expression is truly rewarding.

 
Taro by Alt-J

Comments

Post a Comment