On a coffee table: Vogue Hommes International, Fall '12/Winter '13


Sunday magazine reading has become my pleasing weekend habit. Beside night-time curling up in bed with a book or a film and a mug of hot cocoa with cinnamon, immersing myself in fashion, photography, art and culture magazines is my favourite spare time "activity."
After picking some recent publications at a magazine kiosk in London's Soho (I could deliriously leave there all my time and money), I was quite skeptical about the leitmotif of the newest issue of Vogue Hommes International: A Man and a Woman. Quickly enough, I learned about many artistic and inspiring partnerships to get interested in eloquently written articles and beautifully styled photography editorials. And I won't elaborate on the sensations accompanying my peculiar habit of smelling the pages.
One shouldn't look for a better introduction to the subject than an essay written by the talented Parisian writer, Patrick Mauriès. He had examined the relationships of Yves Saint Laurent, Albert Elbaz, Alexander McQueen, Jean Paul Gaultier, Christian Lacroix, Ricardo Tisci, Christian Dior, Giorgio Armani, Cristóbal Balenciaga and Karl Lagerfeld with their maternal bedrocks. When reading the issue, I really enjoyed getting familiar with Haider Ackermann's high standards of life style.
From the Vogue writers' recommendations, I definitely lust for getting Kate: The Kate Moss Book (to me a must-have amongst art books, cause who other than Kate possess that timeless appeal and ability to constantly reinvent oneself during a 3-decade career in fashion?) and seeing documentary film Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel.
As recently I haven't been sold on the direction in which Sean O'Pry was guided by stylists in the appearing photo shoots, I was pleased to get to know his down-to-earth virtues through reading a short text about his genuine persona. I also liked the interview with Brigitte Bardot.
But what I loved the most in the issue was the feature about nine legendary couples, through which I learned more about nuances of stormy or artist-muse unions, such as: Robert Mapplethorpe and Patti Smith, Kate Moss and Johnny Depp, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton or Yves Saint Laurent and Catherine Deneuve. The issue also didn't disappoint me when it comes to the ad photo shoots with Clément Chabernaud. Those are my ultimate favourites.

Speaking of Vogue Hommes, on November 6th Nicola Formichetti sadly announced on his Tumblr that the Autumn/Winter 2012/13 Vogue Hommes Japan issue, of which he is/was the fashion director, will be the last one. I hope that the artistic and creative sensitivity that emanates from the VHJ archive covers will be shortly placed in another title published under Nicola Formichetti's divine direction.

To bring my long intended-to-be-a-magazine-review babble to a close, I have a splendid publishing wonder to share. For the latest, winter 2012/13 cover of the V Magazine issue, Scarlett Johansson was photographed by Jean-Paul Goude. Breath-taking. That photograph is just spectacular and I strongly believe it will be acclaimed in the V Magazine archives as one of the most iconic. In the upcoming biographical film Hitchcock, Scarlett plays the role of an actress, Janet Leigh, who starred in Alfred's prominent (and my very favourite) work Psycho from 1960. Forming a traditional for the magazine's covers "V" from the shower curtains, and having her lips accented with bloody red, Scarlett poses to one of the all-time most iconic cinema stills. All that in one mind-blowing picture, which I want to stick as an immense wall poster just above my bed.

PS. Grimes live. Grimes x Azealia Banks mashup. Good night.


Circumambient by Grimes

Comments