On the road: postcards from Berlin, chapter II


Day 4
Already familiar with the neighbourhood of Schöneberg, I decided to kick-off another morning in Berlin beholding other offerings that the city had in store for me. I went to Kulturforum and saw an exhibition, Luxury for Fashion, but actually enjoyed quite more the Kunstbibliothek afterwards, where I indulged myself in reading fashion books and magazines. I didn't notice what time it was until it reached late afternoon. I arranged a meeting with my host by Starbucks' jasmine teas, croissant and caramel brownie. Then headed to the parliament building and the glass dome, where we took tons of photos and admired some excellent views upon the city roofs. That's how you can save up 12,5 Euros when in Berlin - choose the parliament glass chamber instead of the TV Tower. A few shots of Brandenburg Gate after, we took a bus to go home, from where, after some refreshments, we went out to the Nollendorfplatz and had the best falafel feast ever. Take the sesame sauce (or possibly hummus) if you happen to be there (a big signboard shining with falafel in the place's name). Then we opted for having some drinks before going back home and watching another episode of Sex and the City.

Day 5
It was a farewell kind of day. After exchanging warm goodbyes with my first host, I bended beneath my backpack and went to Arkaden for some breakfast. Then Potsdamer Platz, peeking into a Dali Museum, Friedrichstrasse and and a book reading and vanilla tea sipping at Starbucks. Then I turned to Kreuzberg, where my next host resided. I was walking madly too much that day. Around Heinrichplatz I finally got the notion of the artistic and bohemian neighbourhood of generic Kreuzberg. I walked around till an early evening, when I decided to take a rest by the river with book in hand. When my upcoming host had some errands to get done before our meeting, I had my dinner at a Singapore restaurant, Mirchi. The best sauces in the world contain nuts, especially coconuts, believe me.
Then I got scarily and awfully lost. I literally didn't know where I was. A couple of hours later, I finally found my destination: the Cuvrystrasse. After kind introduction and quick accommodation, together with my new host we rode his bikes down south-east to Neukölln, visited some smoky, very underground bars, and made acquaintance with a sculptor. Then we decided to give it a try in a club, where we actually danced to the deep sounds of electronic music and forgot about the holy world till 5 AM.

Day 6
I slept 12 hours that day. Twelve freaking hours. I couldn't have remembered the last time I slept 10. In the evening, we attended Bite Club, a Berlin street food feast by the Spree River. Then we cycled from Kreuzberg to Prenzlauer Berg. After stuffing our jackets with liquors, we went to his friend's place, where I got the occasion to experience a typical Berlin home party.

Day 7
I started my Saturday seeing the East Side Gallery with a croissant in my hand and sipping a coffee at the Cuvrystrasse. Then I went to Görlitzer Park, so full of peculiar human beings, and relaxed in sunshine biting my falafel.
In the evening, after some napping, together with my host we went out to meet the other group of his friends. After a bar garden, we paid a hungry visit to a bakery, which offered probably the warmest cakes in town. When we parted it was already after midnight. I decided to go to the famous Berghain since it was my last nigh and I didn't feel like sleeping before catching my bus in the morning. I stayed there till 8 AM, dancing nonstop to the most powerful beats I'd ever heard. Quite undoubtedly, I may say that Kreuzberg and its ever-relaxed and laid-back society was the thing I liked about Berlin the most.


24 Hours by Sky Ferreira

Comments